Torch Industries Ltd. is proud to offer one of the finest industrial remote camp catering services. Our team of Red Seal Certified staff have the expertise and skills to create a first-class remote catering experience for the client. Torch’s remote camp catering creates a level of comfort that will exceed workers’ expectations and ensure employee retention. Our range of hospitality services include work-camp staffing and management, culinary services, utility services, communications and maintenance, snow removal, event coordination and lifestyle programs.
The Sandwich Maker in a large camp is there to support the Chef & 1st Cooks with assistance of prep for main meals as directed.
· Daily participation in site safety requirements and meetings
· Intermediate knife skills
· Be able to work with little to no supervision
· Follow the Night Baker instruction
· Prepares sandwiches to individual order of customers.
· Receives sandwich orders from customers.
· Slices cold meats cheese by hand or machine.
· Selects cuts bread, like white, whole wheat, or rye, and toasts or grills bread, according to order.
· Places meat or filling and garnish, like chopped or sliced onion lettuce, between bread slices.
· Prepares garnishes for sandwiches, like sliced tomatoes pickles.
· May cook, mix, and season ingredients to make dressings, fillings, and spreads.
· May fry hamburgers, bacon, steaks, and eggs for hot sandwiches.
· May butter bread slices, using knife.
· Maintain personal hygiene & uniform cleanliness and requirements throughout shift as per standards
· Daily meet with Chef to discuss meal preparation, assigned duties/workloads and production strategy
· Assist in the unloading of storage and rotation of stock as per HACCP and company approved methods
· Oversee the proper storage and use leftover foods as per HACCP and company approved methods. Help to ensure that food spoilage and waste are kept to a minimum.
· Participate in and be responsible for the handling, preparation, production and timely service of all meals in accordance with the methods and standards approved by the Chef. Depending on the contractual commitments there may be some rig box assistance required.
· Defrost stock for upcoming meals according to approved to HACCP methods and safety procedures.
· Ensure the work area is kept clean & sanitized at all times and maintain the cleaning & sanitizing of the general kitchen area & dining room
· Clean and cut all meats, fish and poultry and vegetables as required.
· Participate as directed to ensure that prepared and stored foods are kept at appropriate temperatures
· Assisting with unloading/loading of weekly grocery truck deliveries
· Assist with serving of hot food items at meal times whenever required
· Assisting with set up/tear down of camp
· Assist with weekly/monthly inventories as directed/required
· Wear required uniform and PPE: approved kitchen shirt and pants, slip resistant footwear (listed as non-slip or slip & oil resistant on shoe), hair net &/or headwear (beanie)
· Any other duties as assigned by site supervisor
· Creativity – food display & presentation abilities
· Excellent attention to details with emphasis on quality
· Time management – essential to meet daily expectation based on workloads and site layout to meet contractual commitments
· Interpersonal Skills – tactful, mature demeanor with well-developed skills and the ability to work well with diverse personalities
Education and Experience:
· High School diploma or equivalent
· Basic math skills and writing skills
· Remote Camp experience is an asset & preferred
· Journeyman Certification or equivalent and or related experience greater than 3 years
· Awareness of industrial kitchen equipment and operations is beneficial (incl. grills, ovens, fryers, etc)
· Awareness of the 3 sink method
· Physically fit and able to handle lifting up to 50lbs, bending and standing for extended periods of time
· Professional client & co-worker relations
· Provincially recognized Basic Food Safe, Advanced is preferred
· First Aid, Standard (2 day course) is preferred for remote locations
· Skill specific training is an asset
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental Care
- Extended Health Care
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night Shift
- Remote Camp kitchen: 1 year (Required)
- large volume sandwich making: 1 year (Required)
- Food Safety Certificate (Required)
- Standard First Aid (Preferred)